forum.SciManDan.org

Thermomagnetism

Hello, I’ve completed my college courses in general physics, but I have some questions that weren’t in the scope of the classes I was taking, and I thought here would be a good place to ask them.

Everything I’ve learned about magnetic fields so far is that they are generated as a reaction to the flow of electrons through a wire. The more electrons moving, the hotter the wire gets, which increases resistance and at some point the system ceases to function, which collapses the resulting magnetic field.

Stars however, use thermomagnets, as we have also been able to recreate on Earth. I understand the textbook definition of thermomagnetism, but if you’d be willing to help me understand more about it I would appreciate it.

Firstly, through Ampere’s Law we know that a changing electric field creates a magnetic field, and through Faraday’s law we understand that a changing magnetic field create and electric field. So am I correct in stating that for thermomagnets a changing temperature field creates a magnetic field? Are they also reciprocally oriented to one another? Doesn’t this mean that the example of the warming wire would create a thermomagnetic field, or is this not great or fast enough a temperature difference? Do thermomagnetic fields interfere with electromagnetic fields? What kinds of experiments could I do to measure the impact of a thermomagnetic field upon an electromagnetic field?

My second question is more larger scale, our galaxy must on aggregate produce a large field, wouldn’t this attract and repel other galaxies or rogue planets to one another, or is the force of the big bang strong enough to ignore these forces?

I appreciate if anyone took the time to read my questions, and thank anyone who is willing to take me seriously enough to reply. Cheers.

1 Like

Good questions. I know nothing about thermomagnetism. I know there is a temperature limit but pressure might also be involved.

There is a lot of internet information about galaxies colliding. Just this week I heard that Andromeda and Milky Way may be colliding.

Welcome to the site.

1 Like